Monday, January 9, 2012

What is this?

Up in the mornin', 'fore day
I don' like it, no way.
Eat my breakfast, too soon.
Hungry as a mad dog, 'fore noon.
Went to the mess Sergeant, on my knees
"Mess Sergeant, Mess Sergeant feed me please!"
Mess Sergeant said witha big wide grin
"If you wanna be Airborne you gotta be thin"
Up in the morning at the break of day
Working so hard we never play
Running through the jungle where the sun don't shine
All I do is double time.
 
Welcome to my blog.  I am going to try to update this weekly along with my training runs(walks, whatever - when you get out for several miles carrying an extra 200 pounds, you call it whatever you want :-) ). The above words are from an old US Army Running Cadence and that's where I got the name for this blog.  It just seemed appropriate, as you may see.
 
Some people think I am crazy.  Oh, ok, everyone thinks I'm crazy.  On Saturday mornings, way before the break of day and usually with only a couple of hours of sleep, I am hitting the road, doing my best to get my milage in while everyone else catches up to me.  How early I start often depends on the milage.  Usually somewhere between 4 and 5am, while the rest of Tulsa lies snuggled up under their blankets and sheets, snoozing peacefully.
 
I've only recently started doing this, although I've been doing this "running thang" for over a year now.  I say recently, but I started with the group at Runners World Tulsa in June of last year.  That's when I started training for my first half marathon.  Before that time, the furthest distance I had gone since the Army, nearly 30 years ago, was 3.1 miles.  And it was hard for me to get even that short distance.  But through the program, I started getting further and further, eventually up to 10.5 miles in one day.  Unfortunately, weather and poor planning got the better of me on race day and I only got 4 miles before ending up in medical for hypothermia.
 
At that point, I wanted to just give up and stay with the shorter distance runs, but something in me just wouldn't let me, so I am back at it again, training for another half marathon and you, dear readers, are lucky enough to read about my misfortune and torture.  So... enjoy.

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya, Robert!! I am excited to see you're starting a blog. I like the template you picked out. When a blog is boring looking, I sometimes don't stop and read the content. I am shallow--I know. I think blogging is a good thing for you--

    1. A lot of people need to hear your story--you are and will continue to be an inspiration to a lot of people.
    2. Blogging keeps you accountable. You always want to have something good to put on the blog--like forward progress, but be sure to document your setbacks as well. Keep it real.

    I am linking your blog to my TZ blog, and I'll link it to the RunnersWorld blog as well--should get you quite a few readers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is great! Glad you didn't give up!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great blog Robert! Thanks for passing this on Ken. We all need some inspiration and encouragement, Lord knows I do. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Robert for always being inspiring. I see you out there every Saturday doing your thing. Keep it up!!!

    ReplyDelete