Saturday, January 14, 2012

Be Prepared!


*** I want to take a quick moment to say that Sloan did contact me back shortly after I posted my last entry in this blog, and that we are now working together to fine-tune my diet and get some positive work going on my weight and my ability to perform.***

This morning began last night as I used the last of the KT tape to tape my foot and my right knee. I only had the two strips, so I did the best I could. Then I pulled out my new compression shorts (I just got them last night, so I was stoked about that.), my wind suit, shoes and socks and put my computer in my backpack. I would carry it with me since I am oncall this weekend.

Oh, I could hide 'neath the wings
of the bluebird as she sings.
The six o'clock alarm would never ring.
But it rings and I rise,
Wipe the sleep out of my eyes.
The wind outside is cold and it stings...

Ok, so I took a few liberties with the last line to make it fit today. The six o'clock alarm did ring, however, and I got up, even though I struggled to do so. One step at a time, I got my running clothes on, layering my body the best I could without going overboard. The one thing that I grew concerned about was that the jacket might not have enough protection on my arms, so I took an old set of tube socks out of my drawer that I haven't worn in years and I cut the toes out and put them on as sleeves.



  Slipping on my jacket and grabbing my gloves, cap and headlamp, I was finally ready to do battle with the cold. The thermometer showed 34 degrees as I drove down to McDonalds for my traditional pre-game fuel -- a breakfast burrito. (Sloan's gonna kill me for this) I actually bought 2 and some hot cocoa, but only had a few sips out of the cocoa and I ran with the other burrito in my pocket in case I needed extra fuel.

I arrived at the fairgrounds and looked around as I finished my burrito. It was stil dark, but it was a bit later than I had wanted to get started. I got everything organized, slipping on my new UnderArmor glove inserts (i had worn them at the Polar Bear Plunge and they had worked much better than I had imagined, so I decided not to use them as inserts but as my only glove -- a great decision). I donned my UA Storm Beanie and my headlamp and filled my pockets with the necessities, 2 bottles of Gatorade, a Tigers Milk bar, my truck keys, and the second burrito. I slipped my phone on my belt, grabbed a pack of gum, and strapped on my computer and started off. The course was supposed to be 6 miles for the day and I had every intention of making that. I was ready and I was back.

 As always, I start off strong and am running some pretty tight intervals for me. The first mile goes by and I am feeling pretty good. It is windy, but not too bad. I feel the sore spot in my foot, but not too bad. My quad and my IT Band are kinda tight, but not too bad. My fingers were a little cool starting out but I notice that by the end of the first mile, I am actually quite toasty, a very good sign. I take a moment to enjoy this fact and I drink about half my first bottle of gatorade. Carry on.

Mile 2 puts me in the middle of TU and I've had to stop a coupe of times, but I am feeling real good about the time so far. I started off at least 10 minutes after 7 and it is just now 8 at the 2 mile mark. I didn't stop and do the math, but I am pretty sure it is the best 2 mile effort I have had in a year! That gets me excited, but then my foot starts protesting a bit more. I slow down hoping it will work itself out. It never does, but it doesn't get too much worse. At 3 and a half miles, I figure I'll cut the run short this morning and just head in. I'd rather save the foot than push it and hurt it worse.

I cut my losses and headed on it, saving my foot in the process. A grand total of 4.25 miles, further than I did last weekend and more importantly, further than I had made it on the Rt66! Under similar conditions! This has made a very positive impact on me! I wish I had this gear for that race, I might have just made it! So, it is good to have the right gear!

2 comments:

  1. Great job! All that gear sounds neat. I would like some compression gear, mostly for shin splints. Way to go getting out there and doing most of it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robert, I DO NOT want to stress you out, but you are a TREMENDOUS INSPIRATION to me & to many others. DO NOT take your role as a mentor of others as a burden, but as FUEL to feed the fire of your journey.

    I would love to talk to you & put a brief short bit about you & your mission on our website. We will talk later.

    ReplyDelete