Thursday, February 16, 2012

Thankful Thursday - This Side of the Dirt

For today's Thankful Thursday post I am breaking with the current pattern. I had thought about not posting anything, but then being that today is Thursday and I am thankful about this, I am going to post about what happened to me this week and why I am thankful. This post will be short because of this.

After the Poker Run on Saturday, I developed a slight cough, which worsened over the remainder of the weekend. Because I had a VA doctor's appointment first thing Monday morning, I basically didn't worry about it too much.

Going in for my appointment, the Vamps had to stick me twice to get the right vein and extract the blood they needed for my usual panel. Then the wait began. Since it was a fasting lab, I then strolled down to the snack bar there at the VA and got some breakfast and I sat down to study some. Times like these seem to build inspiration and this was no different. I got a lot out of my study time and it passed the time quickly so that before I knew it, it was time for my doctor's appointment. The nurse called me in and checked my vitals. Blood pressure was a little high, but since my foot and elbow have been hurting me and my cough was getting worse, we decided it could be due to those things. At that point, she offered me a flu shot and a pneumonia vaccine.

Now, my cough had been getting worse and I was beginning to have a lot of chest congestion, so I was concerned about the possibility of contracting pneumonia. On top of that, it was just a bit over a year ago that my mom passed away due to complications with pneumonia. So I decided to err on the side of caution and consented to the pneumonia vaccine. So she gave it to me and then I waited briefly to see the doc.

The doc had good news for me. First and foremost, my A1C (Long-term blood sugar - what they use to diagnose diabetes) was lower. It had been as high as 6.3 which was just .1 away from a diagnosis of diabetes. But with a lot of work, I had brought it down below 6 by my last checkup, just a few short months ago. Well, Monday's reading was 5.7. Which is within the normal range! And this is even though I had not been taking my Metformin (Diabetic drug) for the past 6 weeks!!

To go along with that, I also had a better result on the cholesterol tests as well! I was really beginning to like that. Then he looked at my elbow and said that it was tennis elbow, so something that can be recovered from without too much difficulty. He ordered a strap for my arm from the VA's Prosthetics shop and said to try to take it easy on the arm and it should heal fine. Finally, he looked at my foot. He sent me to x-ray for the foot, but didn't think it was going to be anything major. He agreed that it did not sound like plantar faciitis. Again, more good news.

Imagine me sitting in my cubicle
at work typing away on my
computer dressed like this

Finally I am done with the VA and head to work, feeling pretty well with the world. Monday night, I notice a slight fever, but not too bad. The papers they gave me with the vaccine said I could expect that. By the time I woke up Tuesday, I have a full blown fever and chills. I also have a huge lump on my arm where they gave me the shot. It's about the size of a baseball!! I'm not feeling good, so I bundle up and head in to work, I've missed enough time from Monday. At work, I don't shed my sweater, I also wear my running cap and my running gloves, just trying to stay warm. The fever is really burning - But at least it helps keep my mind off of the fact that it is the 14th.



Can you see the baseball?
While at work, I call the nurse at the VA and advise them of how things are going, about my fever and chills and the baseball in my arm. She doesn't like it and suggests that I come in. I tell her that I'm at work in Claremore and it just isn't feasible for me to make it in, but should my symptoms worsen or continue to persist, I'd be in in the morning. I leave for the day, having only eaten some breakfast, and head straight home for the bed.

Tuesday night was the worst. My fever continued to rise. 101F when I left for work. a little over 102 by the time I got home. At about 11pm Tuesday night, my fever spiked at 103.9. I was just about to make my way to the ER. I decided to give it an hour and if it didn't get better, I'd go. I asked for prayer and I prayed the best I could under the feverish and nearly delusional conditions. Finally, at about a quarter til midnight, I started sweating. I continued to stay huddled under the covers for a while and let it sweat out. Finally, I check my temp. down to just over 100F. I didn't like that, but I could live with it. I started getting my faculties back and I also was able to eat a little for the first time since 8am.

Wednesday morning, I get up and head back the VA. When I check in with the nurse and told her what had happened, she said she didn't think it would get that bad. Then when I showed her my arm, she said she never expected that. I think she thought I was exaggerating, especially since I didn't want to come in the previous day. Finally, the doctor took a look at it and put me on a steroid regime for extreme allergic reaction. They also charted the vaccine as an allergy and he told me to stay home for a day. The nurse said that when the fever hit 103.9F, I should have headed to the ER. She said that it could have been much worse. Judging by the looks and her reactions, I think she was surprised I was even still breathing, but she didn't say so. By Wednesday evening, I was feeling good enough to get out of the house for a short time, so I went to church. I was a bit short tempered, but that is likely a symptom of the fever. The fever finally broke sometime overnight and I am finally down to my normal temp.

Yes, those are blisters

Oh... and one more thing before I go... the results from the x-rays - a small bone spur in the elbow, which could periodically cause some problems, but shouldn't normally.  and on my foot... a couple of small heel spurs, but not any change from the last time I had my foot x-rayed back a couple of years ago for my turf toe, which has not bothered me in almost a year now.  YAY!


So all this to say one thing. This Thankful Thursday, I am thankful to be on this side of the dirt!

No comments:

Post a Comment