Thursday, March 1, 2012

Thankful Thursday: Before the Race

It seems that the Law of Taper has gotten into almost everything, including my blog. Well, I didn't run on Saturday, taper got me and I used the time to get some much needed sleep. And aside from running around like a chicken with it's head cut off, I've not gotten out on these wonderful and temperate days, much to my regret, to do any running, either. I need to get out and do some exercising, but it seems with all the craziness this week trying to get prepared, I've just not been "in the zone".

So, Little Rock. Growing up, I spent a lot of time in the area. About 8 years total, I lived at Little Rock Air Force Base, about 12 miles north. I graduated from North Pulaski High School. My first apartment after high school is actually right on the course I am running Sunday Morning. How exciting it will be to go by that place again. Wonder if it is for rent. LOL.


Anyway, just a few thoughts before the race...


I am thankful to be able to go back to Little Rock... It's been a while and it gives me a chance to remember some good times.

I am thankful to be able to participate in an endurance race... There have been times when I thought I never would.

I am thankful for the aches and pains I experience along the way... They remind me that I am still alive and need to finish so I can get home.

I am thankful for the people who have brought me into this sport and supported me through all this... To see a 400+ pound man and think he could EVER be in this position take great vision.

I am thankful for the people who accept me for who I am, who I was, and who I may be in the future without judgement. It means more to me than I can express.

I am thankful for each and every one who reads my blog... You guys help me keep it real and keep me finding things to write about.

I am thankful that I was cared about when I was not even able to walk to the end of my block... I'll never be over those times...

I am thankful that I have been so blessed by God... For how else can any of this be explained.

4 comments:

  1. I love this post and you are going to do great! It will be tough, but you will have lots of prayers coming your way! Just fight through it... It's just one more long weekend run. (Only you'll have WAY more people cheering you on!) Keep your pace, don't get over excited, and you got this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your blogs! I have enjoyed the transition you have made to go in a positive direction for your life. I am sure that there are so many others who feel the same. I wish you the best on race day!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go Robert!! I'll be thinking if you Sunday while you're getting it done. Proud of ya, Brother!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are one INCREDIBLE man Robert. Although it might be a bit rough, you will pull through this with flying colors. Prayers are with you my friend & God's Speed.

    ReplyDelete